Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Anticipation of a Meeting

This weekend I am going to have coffee with A., an old friend from grad school. Back then, A. and I bonded over our superior knowledge of Russian slang as well as our debilitating depression. At the few parties we ever attended, our colleagues discussed agricultural policy in Kazakhstan while A. and I huddled together watching YouTube videos of wannabe Russian gangsters on his phone (gopniki). We both felt like idiots in our first semester GOV seminar, but we both got A's. At the campus’s Mental Health Center, we ran into each other so often that my psychiatrist thought we were dating.

I can only imagine what impressive things A. might be up to now. Maybe he joined the Foreign Service, or perhaps he’s getting his PhD.

“And what have you been doing?” he’ll surely ask.

“I quit my job at XYZ in August; now I strip and masturbate on the internet for hundreds of strangers,” I’ll say.

You?!

I can already hear his incredulous laughter. Offline, I have always been known as shy and reserved, a person who intentionally tries to go unnoticed in life. The last time I saw A., I was wearing a beige cardigan, Ann Taylor slacks, and a dab of under-eye concealer. We talked about résumés and our respective long-term relationships. Everything was on track.

This time, I’d love to show up sporting my new leopard print pencil skirt, perfectly defined cat-eyes, and the Hello Kitty purse I just bought in Quebec. (Yes, I am a feline-obsessed teenaged girl trapped in the body of a 25-year-old.)

Maybe I’d pull him into some dive bar in the Village to tell him all about my new vocation. Maybe I’d lean a bit closer when divulging the particularly risqué parts, so much that he could smell the top notes of cardamom in my perfume. Maybe the hairs on his neck would jump and his heart would sprint, leaving all thoughts of our professional lives in the dust. Maybe then he would believe me. Better yet, maybe I would believe myself.

4 comments:

  1. If all that you did was strip and masturbate online, no one would have noticed you on MFC. Your model name whether you knew it or not when you started is an awesome brand. It states something unique about yourself, but also implies an unique value proposition, that is under appreciated on MFC. When people see you for the first time on the home page, they feel instantly, that you are an intelligent woman.

    When I first checked out MFC for the first time, most of what guys see are a lot of bored looking girls. There are also quite a few who seem to put a lot of preparation into their shows, but there are only so many things that you can do with a dildo, and there are usually about a thousand girls doing something with one. The point being, you do more than that. If you didn't, no one would have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a funny thing reading and reflecting on my last comment. I really shouldn't write seconds before I leave for work. It just seems so half assed when I do that.

    I also realized another thing. I've never actually watched you strip or masturbate. While I am certain that watching that would be spectacular, I just enjoy listening to the things that you say while I am drinking coffee and waking up. I know that's not in the spirit of the whole cam site culture, something that I have only been exposed to over the past week, but it would be cool if maybe there was a cam site with nothing other than interesting people saying interesting things. I'm still on the fence about becoming a premium member. I think if there was more content like what you provide I probably would.

    Well, that's probably not ever going to happen, but it would be cool if it did.

    Anyway, I was glad to see that you were on today, even if I only had time for a couple of minutes. I'd love to see you play piano on MFC though. That would be awesome. I'd probably go premium for stuff like that but I suspect I'm the only one. What can I say. People like what they like. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to come off harsh here, Devil, but if you enjoy what Marina is providing, the thing to do is contribute. Just because it's not all stripping and cumshows doesn't mean she's not working and doesn't deserve to be paid.

      I haven't even seen her completely naked myself, but I enjoy the company and the intelligent chat and the way she engages with us. That's worth some tokens to me, and it's nice to see her feel happy and appreciated (and knowing that it's my gesture of support which caused some of the happiness is a nice side benifit of tipping, and since I can tell you like Marina I guarantee you'll like it too).

      Tartuffe


      Delete
  3. "Marina," I've never seen a cam or a camgirl but I read your article on Slate (or was it Salon?) and I find you compelling. I wanted to say "oddly compelling," but clearly I'm nothing like alone. Maybe because you write well. Maybe because all us middle-aged guys fall for that hooker with a heart of gold (and in this case, brain) schtick. Whatever.

    I love reading through the comments on that article and on your blog. So many want to analyze you and offer you advice, in some cases very strident advice. So many (over)value your name-brand education and advanced degree and think you are "wasting your life" (whatever that means). How many of them have careers, even for a moment, that really make them happy, jobs that they are excited to show up to each day? For most of us, life is a slog, and to what end?

    I have no idea who you are or whether you enjoy what you do. You're having an experience, it's real and interesting and you're probably realistic that it can't last forever and that someday you'll have to, maybe want to, do something else. It's given you something to write about, and you're obviously a writer to at least some degree...

    Here's what I think I might know: something to write about is way better than nothing to write about. Challenging your own sense of propriety is better than meekly succumbing to it. Living is better than slowly dying, and following your own muse is better than following someone else's. Mostly, anyway. Do this until its time to do something else. Trust your heart and your curious impulse. Have fun while you're still young! The world will wait for you to apply your brains and skills in saving it.

    Good luck! Sometimes that matters more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete