Tuesday, August 20, 2013

To be or not to be? (a writer)

It's been over a month since I launched this blog, and a week since I officially departed my office job to become a full-time camgirl.

Relatives, oblivious to my new "gig," have barraged me with inquiries regarding my daily activities and long-term goals. "What the hell could she possibly be doing all day?" they must be thinking. Finally, I relented and confessed to my [appalled] parents, but that still leaves me with a gaggle of nosy aunts and uncles, as well as my future in-laws.

Regardless of how anyone feels about what I'm doing now, even I know that I need a game plan for the future - one that doesn't involve panty-stripping countdowns, ice cubes, or use of the word "cum." And I need to take steps toward that goal every lubed-up, dildo-filled day.

But what is my goal, you ask?

Although it is embarrassing to admit something so preposterous, I want to be a writer. A creative nonfiction writer, to be exact. I know that I have stories worth telling and an above-average command of the English language, but these factors alone do not a writer make. What does, then? Stupid luck, extraordinary genius, personal connections?

... a blog?

3 comments:

  1. Just saw you on MFC. I wish i could give you advice on how to be a writer. Currently I specialize in correspondence which is little more than a performance art :)

    The one bit of advice I have read is try to find the best piece of writing you've ever read, and shamelessly try to copy it. Try to understand why you like it. I think the more you do it, you will find your style.

    Best of luck to you,

    ~sidbot

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing "preposterous" about admitting your desire to write. Far more preposterous to bottle the desire up due to fear, guaranteeing you never reach the goal.

    When one already has a decent command of the language (and you do, as is obvious in talking to you and reading your blog), you already have the workbench. But it helps to define your terms. Do you just want to write? Then write. Write whenever the mood strikes. Finish what you write, or you will never succeed as a writer. Then go write some more. But to me, people who do only that are not real writers. I'm only willing to extend that title to professional writers. And the criterion for that is simple: you write and an editor pays you for your work. The amount is more or less irrelevant (though I still don't count the people who write a short story and get paid $10 and 5 copies of the publication). To be a professional writer (and I have been a professional writer for more than two decades) you must write stuff that editors will buy for hundreds or thousands of dollars, consistently. You must understand that writing professionally is a business. Just like being a successful camgirl is a business.

    I've written dozens of books, and have been paid more-or-less handsomely for them. It's been a nice, middle-class career. I'm not making Stephen King money (I write non-fiction books anyway). My comment (i can't even dignify it as advice) to new writers is that the urge to write isn't enough. Anyone can start a book. It's finishing it and meeting your deadline when you are almighty-God sick of the damn thing that separates the writers from the wannabees. I've finished books and met my deadline after experiencing life-threatening illnesses. Three times. Because that's what a pro does.

    You already know how to write and tell an interesting story. But frankly, it's not too hard to keep a reader's interest when part of the story involves fucking a smart, beautiful woman, even at an electronic remove. Don't get me wrong; as a fan, I'll happily read a story about doing you until you raise the roof. But when you branch into writing things that don't involve sex, and still hold the reader's interest to the same extent as your sex stories, then you'll know you're really on your way to your goal.

    Be well. I will continue to watch and see you flower.

    SG

    ReplyDelete